Supporting the Retail Sector – Street Market Trading
Opportunities for new starts and growth
Durham County Council are offering a package of intervention to support and enable business communities, producers, future entrepreneurs and existing independent retail businesses, access to trading opportunities on street markets. The support will be initially delivered over two years at Chester le Street and Stanley markets.
The package provides a low risk, low cost opportunity to enable new businesses start-ups, entrepreneurs, home workers, and online businesses to “market test” products in a “front facing” retail sales environment.
To find out more contact the team on 03000 267967 or email: CED@durham.gov.uk
For new businesses:
- up to 50% of the funding required to enable the purchase of stalls and tarpaulin covers
- a 50% contribution to membership of the National Market Traders Federation (NMTF) for 12 months to enable new businesses meet legal requirements to trade.
- Facilitation of a “Shared Pitch” scheme for new businesses to reduce initial set up costs; renting space and stock requirements.
- Contribution towards pitch fees for up to three months
Advice and Guidance from the Community Economic Development Team
For existing businesses:
- Up to 50% of the funding required for new tarpaulins, larger stalls, new signage / banners through a Targeted Market Improvements (TMI) scheme. This will provide the opportunity for existing businesses to increase stock/range, promote their business and improve the aesthetics of the market.